UW Medicine|Featured Clinics|Maps & Numbers|Find A Doctor

Career Opportunities|Ways to Give|Online Bill Pay


Our Services
Physicians & Providers
Patient & Visitor Information
Classes, Events, & Support Groups
About Northwest Hospital and Medica Center
Northwest
Abridged History (1960 - present)
Detailed History (1960 - 1990)
Fun Facts from 1960
Tell Us Your Story
I Was Born At Northwest Hospital
Events and Happenings
Giving Opportunities
Main Hospital Number
206-364-0500

Toll Free
877-NWH-HOSP
877-694-4677

Admitting
206-368-1716

Patient Financial Services
206-368-6440
877-364-6440 (toll free)

Care Management
206-368-1304

Community Hotline
206-368-5756

Foundation/Donations
206-368-1647

Medical Records
206-368-1616
206-368-1920 (fax)

Physician Referral Line
206-633-4636

Public Relations
206-368-1645

Volunteering
206-368-1822



    |    

Our History

In the late 1940s, Seattle was desperately short on hospital beds. Seven of the eight general hospitals in Seattle at the time were concentrated downtown. North End residents worried that, in a major emergency, the bridges linking the north and south ends of the city could be destroyed, leaving it virtually impossible for them to reach one of these facilities. Worse yet, an atomic attack, which was greatly feared at that time, could destroy all the hospitals in one blow since they were all close to one another. At the recommendation of state health planners and the Atomic Energy Commission, plans were made to build new hospitals in the suburbs, including Seattle’s booming North End, where people were settling in increasing numbers.

After years of intensive fundraising, the new hospital opened in 1960, and almost immediately began to expand. Highlights of Northwest Hospital’s history include:

1949
For $33,000, the “Community Memorial” Hospital Association purchases the 33 acres on which to build the hospital from Budget Homes

July 6, 1959
Construction begins

July 23, 1959
Groundbreaking ceremonies are held

September 22, 1960
The sparkling new hospital opens for business

September 23, 1960
First baby born at Northwest Hospital, a 7 lb. 6 oz. boy

February 8, 1961
The hospital is at capacity for the first time

1961
Physical Therapy opens
At the time of the hospital’s second birthday, the hospital admits its 20,000th patient

1965
Radioisotope Magna Scanner added
Northwest Professional Center opens
Childbirth classes start for prospective parents

1966
The 10,000th baby is born at Northwest Hospital

1967
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Program begins
Inhalation Therapy Department opens
Northwest breaks its own record for the most babies in one month with 250th baby born
Speech and Language Clinic opens.
First hospital addition (D-Wing) opens and serves as the Coronary Intensive Care Unit

1968
Speech and Language Clinic begins a diagnostic and therapeutic program for hearing disorders.

1969
Stroke Center begins operation
Progressive Care Center (PCC) opens

1970s
Surgery doubles in size
Northwest is the first in Seattle to provide a birth suite for labor, delivery, recovery, and postpartum care (LDRPs)

1971
Nuclear Medicine opens

1973
Emergency Department is expanded with 2,000-square-foot addition

1974
Medical Arts Building is constructed

October 4, 1977
Northwest Hospital Foundation established

September 20, 1980
20th anniversary of the opening of Northwest Hospital
Groundbreaking for the hospital tower

1982
Tower opens, doubling the square footage of the hospital

1984
Medical Office Building opens

1985
Separate facility for day surgery opens
Physicians at Northwest Hospital pioneer prostate cancer treatment with ultrasound-guided radioactive seed implants

1988
Easy Street Environments for rehabilitation opens

1993
Northwest is the first hospital in the region to offer non-surgical treatment of brain tumors through the use of Gamma Knife®

1998
Northwest is voted “Best Place to Have Baby” by readers of Seattle’s Child

2001
Remodeled lobby and expanded Emergency Department opens

2003
Northwest opens Advanced Surgical Suites for minimally invasive surgical procedures

2005
Northwest Hospital introduces DynaCT angiogram technology to the Pacific Northwest
New bariatric surgery program begins treating patients.

2007
Northwest Hospital begins to offer robotic surgery with the daVinci S Robotic Surgical System
Northwest Hospital earns its first HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Patient Safety
Seattle Breast Center converts to all-digital mammography
Staff begin to use electronic patient medical records and computerized, bedside medication reconciliation

2008
Northwest Hospital and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance sign agreement to build region’s first proton beam therapy center for cancer treatment
Northwest Hospital Sleep Center opens

2009
Northwest Hospital launches hyperbaric oxygen therapy for advanced wound care
The Community Health Education & Simulation Center opens its doors to provide high-tech health education to healthcare providers, students and the community
Northwest Hospital surgeons perform nation’s first Esophyx procedure for GERD

 
The Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence Award
Northwest Hospital Earns The Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence Award
The Emergency Medicine Excellence Award
Northwest Hospital Earns The Emergency Medicine Excellence Award
 
UW MEDICINE
ACCESS TO CARE
Quick Links: Create a Free Patient Web Page

Recognize a Staff Member: DAISY Foundation Award - (for extraordinary nurses) | CARE Award - (for all Northwest Hospital staff)

Be Social:
Tell your friends about us on Facebook Facebook
Find us on Twitter Twitter
Connect to other on Linkedin Linkedin