| | |
THE PAST IS PROLOGUE
It is in this most recent decade of the hospital's history that it has made medical history in Seattle. From the pioneering treatment of prostate cancer, to Easy Street, to the Childbirth Center, to Seattle's first laparoscopic gall bladder removal on April 27, 1990, Northwest has been in the forefront of medicine.
But the trustees have never been ones to look back. From May of 1948, when Dr. Reuben Nelson first approached the Associated Clubs of the North End, the outlook has been forward and positive. The founders might be amazed at the technology their little hospital uses now — linear accelerators, lasers, computed tomography — but they would not be surprised to see the 33-acre campus abloom with 1300 employees helping 255 active physicians take care of almost 11,000 people a year in acute-care nursing units, in the emergency department, in the rehabilitation unit, in the community, or through 254,000 outpatient appointments each year. After all, they wanted a superior hospital. That's what Northwest has become.
No longer the country hospital out in the wilds of North Seattle, Northwest Hospital today commands the respect of its peers here and around the country. Joint ventures with Swedish Hospital and the University of Washington, participation in nation-wide research studies, and the caliber of its medical staff attest to Northwest's stature.
Yet it is not for this that the hospital exists. Rather, the hospital strives for excellence for one reason: to fulfill its responsibility to provide the highest-quality medical care to the people of North Seattle. At Northwest, technology never stands alone. It is always tempered by caring human hands.
Northwest Hospital will always be, as Harry Bentz said, a place "full of life."
<<< previous chapter