UW Medicine|Featured Clinics|Maps & Numbers|Find A Doctor

Career Opportunities|Ways to Give|Online Bill Pay


Our Services
Physicians & Providers
Patient & Visitor Information
Classes, Events, & Support Groups
About Northwest Hospital and Medica Center
Northwest
Abridged History (1960 - present)
Detailed History (1960 - 1990)
Fun Facts from 1960
Tell Us Your Story
I Was Born At Northwest Hospital
Events and Happenings
Giving Opportunities
Main Hospital Number
206-364-0500

Toll Free
877-NWH-HOSP
877-694-4677

Admitting
206-368-1716

Patient Financial Services
206-368-6440
877-364-6440 (toll free)

Care Management
206-368-1304

Community Hotline
206-368-5756

Foundation/Donations
206-368-1647

Medical Records
206-368-1616
206-368-1920 (fax)

Physician Referral Line
206-633-4636

Public Relations
206-368-1645

Volunteering
206-368-1822



    |    

CHAPTER 21:
MASTER PLANNING
By the late 1960s the hospital had begun to change its approach to site development. No longer would buildings be built as separate entities, without relationship to the whole, to meet the needs of the moment.

Instead, Northwest began the long process of developing a master plan. In 1967, the board retained James A. Hamilton Associates, Inc., to study the hospital's future and in 1969 formed the long-range planning committee.

This committee comprised representatives from the board of trus-tees, the administration, and the medical staff. The board deliberately chose not to have professional planners on the committee, relying instead on the information from James A. Hamilton; trustees' expertise in law, building, real estate, and engineering; and the management and medical expertise of the administrative and medical staffs. Lawrence and Hazen was brought in to help with architectural details.

In 1971 the hospital developed a site plan, under the Planned Unit Development (PUD) process and the City Planning Commission approved the PUD. This cleared the way for the Medical Arts Building and, later, the five-story tower and Medical Office Building.

The changing nature of medicine caused Northwest to begin to incorporate the office buildings into its everyday operations. The hospital moved some of its outpatient and administrative functions from the PCC to the new Medical Arts Building, and Allan Davis suggested that a shuttle bus might run between the hospital proper and the office building. The Medical Office Building, completed in 1983, was physically connected to the new tower by a second-story skybridge, making it an integral part of the hospital.

<<< previous chapter | next chapter >>>

 
The Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence Award
Northwest Hospital Earns The Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence Award
The Emergency Medicine Excellence Award
Northwest Hospital Earns The Emergency Medicine Excellence Award
 
UW MEDICINE
ACCESS TO CARE
Quick Links: Create a Free Patient Web Page

Recognize a Staff Member: DAISY Foundation Award - (for extraordinary nurses) | CARE Award - (for all Northwest Hospital staff)

Be Social:
Tell your friends about us on Facebook Facebook
Find us on Twitter Twitter
Connect to other on Linkedin Linkedin